Saturday, July 7, 2007

Marriage - a necessary evil?

Another weekend has almost gone by, this is the third or fourth consecutive weekend that I have spent getting bored, sitting at home doing mundane stuff like cooking, cleaning, laundry, filing tax returns, buying grocery etc. In short, not having fun at all or enjoying life the way I have always done in the past. I am someone who likes socializing, going out with friends/family, to movies, road trips to nice places, theatre, music concerts etc. All of these now seem things of the past.

Today I got so bored that I didn't do anything but sulked and brroded the whole day. All of my friends are either married (and hence don't have time for friends during weekends, and it's understandable) or outside India (oh, the plight of being in software industry) or have moved out of Bangalore for good. My sister who lives with me and we used to hang out a lot together in the past is either busy at work these days or is spending her time with her friends.

Today I feel that it wouldn't have been such a bad idea to have been married after all, just for the sake of not getting bored, if not anyhthing else. I never felt the real need to get married in the past as I have always been lucky in friend's department. I used to tell my married friends who used to talk me into getting married that I am enjoying my life the way it is, no regrets. And NM used to tell me that friends will not be around and your sister will also get busy with her life, then you will regret not having a man in your life. Was she really warning me about days like this? But then again, such days are few and far apart, does it really make sense to get into a life-long relationship just to get rid of boredom?

1 comment:

ME-MOI-MYSELF said...

Nope. It doesn't make sense. But what if the person you were in a relationship with was friend/family/companion, all rolled into one? ;-)

Food for thought, eh?