Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Taking Life...

The other day I heard about a friend's teammate at work committing suicide. I had never met the lady who had died, but it started a whole gamut of thoughts in my mind. Why does someone really commit suicide? What is it that pushes someone over the edge? We keep hearing that we value our life the most, then why do we end it with our own hands? And above all, does killing ourselves really solve the problem that we have been trying to face in the first place?

I remember I had always been opposed to the idea of committing suicide .. right from my college days. I used to have heated debates with my room-mates and friends in hostel over it. In those days I used to argue that committing suicide is the highest form of selfishness, where the person thinks only about himself/herself and not about anyone else! With time, that notion has changed .. I have understood that one is responsible only to oneself for his/her own actions and not to anyone else. But then, shouldn't we be more responsible this way .. about something which is so precious and if taken, cannot be given back?

No comments: