Sunday, October 21, 2007

Of Festivities, Flowers and Banana Trees..

It's Dussehra today and I happened to go from one part of Bangalore to the other to attend a lunch get-together. And what a delight it was! Dussehra (or rather Durga Pooja as it is called in Bengal & Bihar) was always a time for great festivities back home but has been quite a low-key affair for me ever since I moved to Bangalore. But today was different - thanks to my 25/30 km auto-ride through the city. Since Navmi coincides with Ayudha Pooja (in which you worship the machinery of all sorts) in Karnataka, most of the vehicles were decorated with garlands, chandan and above all large banana trees. I also passed by a temple in front of which the pujaris were solemnly performing poojas to numerous vehicles and I wondered if something went wrong with the vehicle at some point in time, what would help it more - the pooja that was done or the maintenance/upkeep activities?

Then there were ladies and kids dressed in their festival fineries (it's hard to tell about men when they are dressed up ) - especially women & girls with flowers in their hair. I absolutely love the sight of women with flowers in hair - probably because I have never managed to do it myself (owing to short length of my hair :) ). And all this truly made my day seem quite festive even though I didn't do anything more than calling/sending messages to some people wishing for the poojas.

(Photo: http://www.hindu.com/)

No comments: