Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year, eh?

After making/receiving numerous phone calls, sending/receiving many emails/texts/Orkut scraps to/from all the people I know (or hardly know) to wish them a happy new year; after partying hard for hours with friends at a city hotspot to bring in the new year - I have realized that the whole concept of new year is so overrated & pointless.

What exactly changes between 31st December of a year and 1st January of the next? In my opinion - nothing, apart from the last one (or in some cases two) digit of the year part of the date. Then why do we make such a hue & cry about the whole thing and spend so much time & money over it? We also indulge in inane things like making new year resolutions, taking stock of things done (or not done) right during the last year. Why is any other time of the year not good enough for doing this? Or is it all just a gimmick of these event management companies - just like Valentine's Day is that of all cards/gifts manufacturing companies?

Whatever it is, one thing is for sure - I am done celebrating new year. From next year onwards, it's going to be just another day for me..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Interesting.

Would like to see how the next new year dawns on you.

Though i agree with most of your thoughts, i feel may be a specific day (or any day) designated is just to remind us that we have one life to live, to make us pause and think.

How many times do we take time off to think about what we are doing? how many times do we say "I love you" to our loved ones? How many times do we stop and enjoying blooming flowers?

Probably these designated days are just markers in our race to whatever we are trying to achieve. If you do not need these, i guess that you are blessed :-)

But the hype, the partying n the hullola - I agree they probably are drowning the purpose.

- RK

Anonymous said...

Looks like someone is really low .Its just another day so move one ....

Vee said...

@RK: I liked ur comment - the longest one on my blog so far :). My views were mostly for the commercialization behind observing these 'days'. And also that we sometimes do these things for the sake of doing them and not because we really want to. And don't worry, next year would dawn like any other day for me :)

@NM: It might look like I wrote it in a fit of frustration (since u've been at the receiving end of all my rants past few days), but trust me dear, I really mean it :)

Anonymous said...

My New Year was a routine day, full of everyday chores! The only thing different was the little reminders throughtout the day that it was the first day of a new Year! And that, I will get these little reminders only after 365days and may be only 60times (if I live 60yrs) in my life!!

I can say "I am dun duna dun dun of these days", or I can go out and party with friends or make a resolution or I can do the traditional thing - wear new clothes and go to the temple!! Its a choice you make, dear.. on New year or any other day. Its just that of all the people, you saying "I am dun duna dun dun" is just not so-Vineeta!!

Vee said...

@Nitika: No, I am not saying I am done partying or retrospecting or having a good time. I don't think I am cut out for that (and you, of all people, know this better than anyone else :) ). All I am saying is why wait for a specific day to do so?