Saturday, November 24, 2007

Of Nose Rings & Tattoos

Read a piece in today's Bangalore Times about the tattoo that the one-day cricket captain Dhoni has acquired. The writer has spoken to a tattoo artist to understand what the tattoo design represents. Also, there is a comment from Bangalore's fashion guru Prasad Bidappa that the tattoo is Dhoni's statement that he has grown up - probably from his small town background (I had trouble understanding his statement about the small town bit, but this is the closest I could get). And also, that he is capable of doing things which senior players in the team would not even think of. But then, how can one be so sure? There could be a tattoo or two hidden somewhere in Dravid or Sachin's body too, who knows! :)

I didn't think getting a tattoo could be interpreted in so many interesting ways. But then, if you decide to get some permanent change done in your body, criticism always follows - in both positive and negative ways. I have also been interested in getting a small tattoo done & my nose pierced (so I could wear a nose ring) for quite some time now. The other day I happened to discuss about nose-ring with two of my very close friends Nisha & Preethi. They had some interesting things to say about women who wear nose-rings. They said nose-ring lends an air of promiscuity to the woman and also it looks unprofessional (especially in our workplace kind of setup, where it is against our dress code even to sport a "visible" tattoo). I am yet to figure out how one "looks" promiscuous as against being one :). My nose piercing plan has been butt of many jokes ever since - like when I said I was planning to pledge my eyes for donation, pat they said "Eye donation is ok, but don't ever think of donating your nose!". I have also been threatened of being disowned if I go ahead with my plans :D.
Personally I don't think getting a tattoo or wearing a nose ring is such a big deal as long as it suits your personality. I just decided to do a dress-rehearsal before getting my nose pierced. So I bought a nose ring when I went shopping last & tried it on. I didn't think it looked bad .. so I am all set to take the plunge!
Dhoni's picture courtesy: http://epaper.timesofindia.com/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No No No Vineeta... I hope you have NOT already taken the plunge. Otherwise I will never forgive myself for not having read your blog earlier and advise you against it!!! No touching that nose!! Absolutely NO NO NO!! Yes Ma'am, You heard me loud and clear!!

Vee said...

No, I haven't yet but will later this month. Come on, it's no big deal .. just a tiny little hole :) And don't u tell me u agree with Nisha & Preethi's views!!

Anonymous said...

Just a tiny little hole!! I sincerely wish it finds a better place Vinnie....

Vee said...

I love ur cheeky comments, Preeths :)

ME-MOI-MYSELF said...

Eagerly waiting to see your avatar ... I mean the one with the nose-ring ;-)

I dunno about promiscuous, but it does make one look s*** :-D

Noble thought that about donating your eye! And your nose too... if it qualifies. If I remember right, there are certain parts you can donate only if one is considered brain-dead as opposed to dead; certain parts have to be donated within a very short period of time etc etc etc