Monday, September 28, 2009

Feast of Love

I watched this beautiful movie called Feast of Love this weekend. I had never heard of this movie before and had bought its DVD a week ago by just seeing Morgan Freeman on the cover :). A little bit of reading its back cover gave me an idea that it would be something on the lines of Love Actually. The film is directed by Robert Benton of The Human Stain and Twilight fame.

The film has many stories in it .. all on the theme of love. Each of them exploring a different dimension of love - be it between two youngsters who fall in love with each other the moment they lay their eyes on each other, between two women (one of them married and having no idea that she could get attracted to another woman), between two people who had been having an affair with each other only to realize later that they were actually in love all along and my favorite .. love and comfort between two older people .. the kind of love that comes from decades of togetherness. The film has been dealt with a lot of sensitivity and the characters are well developed and layereed. The film also managed to stay away from becoming the usual romantic chick-flick, which I do not have much liking for. It has elements of both happy and sad endings to love stories. Most of the actors have given good performances but I particularly liked those of Morgan Freeman and Alexa Davalos. Alexa's beauty and talent have shone through the whole film and she has managed to steal the attention away from more established names like Radha Mitchell and Selma Blair.

A good romantic film that also has depth to it. May not be suitable for family viewing as there are some explicit scenes in the film.

8 comments:

cactus said...

I downloaded this movie after reading your post, just finished watching it. I didn't like it at all, very average. It is not a romantic movie at all , more about relationships and all. Movie is full of psychos, I was unable to find one character I could relate to. Prof character was somewhat ok. The most idiotic and stupid character was that of the coffee shop owner, I wished he had cut his neck instead of his finger, he was such a pain. Overall a very depressing movie.

Vee said...

Well, that goes on to prove that you should not watch the movies I like :). I think the guys may not like such movies .. understanding and relating to complexities in relationship are the forte of women-folk. BTW, I'm assuming you are a guy ;)

cactus said...

I am not sure if understanding and relating to complexities in relationship are the forte of women-folk. But I am sure women folk are experts in adding unnecessary complexities to relationships.
Well, i hardly watch English movies, and from my limited experience I can say that the best director , story writer on the theme of relationships is Woody allen . And he is a guy :).. my fav..just watch annie hall, manhattan..i love his dialogues...

was watching whatever works today.. c what he says abt love
"
Love, despite what they tell you,
does not conquer all.
Nor does it even usually last.
In the end,
the romantic aspirations of our youth are reduced to
whatever works.
"

i love the line from vicky cristinia bracelona....
"Only unfulfilled love is romantic"

have u seen it ...if not please return the total waste movie feast of love dvd :) and get that....i think you will love it..

Vee said...

Wow, you do seem to be quite peeved :). I haven't seen too many Woody Allen movies and have like whichever I have. Yes, Vickey Christina Barcelona was an amazing movie too and I already own its DVD. And about Feast of Love being a 'waste of a movie', I guess everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes, no?

cactus said...

no no..why should i be peeved...

BTW why did u remove all those red spots from your visitor location map, kitna acha dikh raha tha...

and few days back ... i tried to access your blog, it said it was read by invitation only . kya hua, U dun't want strangers in your blog ..is it...

Vee said...

I didn't remove those 'red dots', they get archived every year. I wanted to make my blog offline for some time and could not find any other way to do it except making it for invited users only :)

ME-MOI-MYSELF said...

Opening an old can of worms: but I quite agree with Cactus - it's not just a women's forte. It's just that the mental make-up of men and women are so different, that what appears complex to one, isn't to another. Get the drift???

Maybe you are yet to meet a sensitive man - if there is such a thing - to know what I am talking about.

Vee said...

I do agree that men and women treat relationships differently but I don't agree that women unnecessarily complicate relationships.

And yeah who knows, may be I already have met a sensitive man and understand exactly what you are talking about :)