Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Grapes of Wrath

The back cover of the book by John Steinbeck has the writer's quote: " I've done my damndest to rip a reader's nerves to rags, I don't want him satisfied". I found this quote so intriguing that I ended up buying this book instead of the other Steinbeck book (East of Eden) that I had set out to buy that day. I must say The Grapes of Wrath left me with similar feelings that his novella Of Mice and Men had left me with earlier .. sad, dissatisfied and a bit depressed.

The Grapes .. chronicles the journey of the Joads - a farmer family from Oklahoma, who drive hundreds of miles to California in search of greener pastures (in the form of a steady job and food for the family) during the Great Depression. The transformation each person in the family goes through, while battling hunger, deaths and misery; is beautifully captured. The author has also described the principles of demand and supply (availability of farm laborers and their wages) and capitalization (large corporates controlling farm produces and in turn, making small farmers broke) in a very simple way. He even writes the conversations exactly the way an Oklahoma farmer would speak - somepin for something, purty for pretty, ast for ask .. and such like :)

It definitely is a great read if one is not looking for a they-lived-happily-ever-after kind of a story.

5 comments:

cactus said...

Is it a heavy read ..there is a movie based on the novel also..
Btw have you read remains of the day..if not.. do read it..my favorite..

Vee said...

@cactus: Not heavy read, but it changes the perception we have of America. Yes, I know about the movie, but I always prefer the book to movie as I have this prejudice that movies don't do justice to a good book :)

No, haven't read any of Ishiguro's work yet. It has been on my list for a while. May be it's time to read it now ..

cactus said...

Yeah!!..Namesake,Kite runner,Remains of the day movies are no way as good as the book.
Have you observed most good books endings are sad or depressing.Say for instance jhumpa lahiri books..i like the way she writes..but the stories are so depressing...

Yes..please read Remains of the Day next. I am eager to know your opinion about it.Maybe I should gift you the book on u'r bday this month.:)
yaar kuch karo RSS ka..roz roz tumhe check karna padta hai manually...

Vee said...

Not sure about all good books having sad endings. For me it is the other way - I like books that have a sad ending. Not a bad idea about gifting me the book :). I tried the RSS thing, somehow not able to set it up

cactus said...

U seem quite attracted to things that are Sad……books with sad endings…..unrequited love stories…..
Hope you are not…..Sad aaj kal….. ..bad PJ…:)
Yaar, I would love to give you the book as a gift….Wish I had known you personally….
Gifting a stranger whom you like….seems odd…try kiya ja skata hai lekin..:)..
Given a choice…I would have gifted you a N72 mask as a gift..: D... Be careful….of Swine flu and all