Monday, December 17, 2007

Back from Sikkim

Just got back from Sikkim and thought of writing about my travel experience. But found it very difficult to sum up the beauty of the place in just a few words. So decided to put some pictures instead ..

A view of NHPC Township in Singtam where we stayed -



The giant statue of Guru Padmasambhava at Samdruptse. The Guru's angry expression got me a little confused -

Temi Tea Gardens -


With Vandana at Temi Tea Gardens -


A view of Chhangu lake surrounded by snow covered mountains. The lake had started freezing already & was expected to be totally frozen in a couple of weeks -



This spot was around 13,000 feet above sea level and temperatures were around -5 degrees -



It had snowed a day before and everything was pristine white ...



At Rumtek Monastery near Gangtok. It is arguably one of the richest monasteries in the world and contains the relics of the 16th Karmapa -


The monastery had beautiful carvings in traditional Tibetan style. A corridor in the monastery -



At a viewpoint called Hanuman Tok. On a good day the Kanchenjunga range is clearly visible from this spot. We didn't get so lucky -



This one is my favorite .. with my nephews Shivank & Shreyas in the balcony of our guest house at Gangtok -



Who is the naughtiest of them all? At home in Singtam with Shivank & Shreyas again -


This was the last photo I took on our way back from Sikkim .. the sun was going to set while river Teesta flowed on ....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... lovely pics. My favourite one too is the one with Shivank and Shreyas! I didnt realize your nephews had such beautiful names. Would love to see more pics on Flickr... dont make me wait too long!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics! loved the sunset over Teesta one. Travel details to follow, I hope :)

Vee said...

@Nitika: Thnx. Yes, they are boys with beautiful names :). I have started uploading the pics on Flickr .. am losing patience doing it though.

@Ravi: Good to see u here. Travel details?? Hmmm .. I thought the pictures pretty much covered them :)

Anonymous said...

The pics are too good (here & in flickr). Add a flickr stream to your blog would look good.

RK

Vee said...

Thanx :). I'd thought about the Flickr stream but then decided against it - there are way too many photos there ;)